A World Without Wires
Smart mobile electronic devices have changed the way that we perceive and interact with the world around us. Electric cars, buses, scooters, and bikes are transforming the face of our urban transportation landscape. Autonomous robots in intelligent factories and aerial drones making deliveries are challenging past preconceptions about the ways that we create and distribute goods.
All of these technologies – and the way they impact our personal and business lives – have been evolving for the past decade at a breakneck pace; except in one very important area. They still largely need to be plugged into a physical outlet in order to recharge. This need for tethering has not evolved since the invention of electricity. Unleashing technology from this constraint of a wired physical connection will undoubtedly bring new possibilities and solutions to important human and business questions.
Think of what a world without wires would offer.
- Automotive: Wireless charging parking pads become the ‘new gas or refueling station,’ accelerating the evolution to true autonomous mobility, and increasing the convenience factor for electric vehicles.
- Urban Micro-Mobility: Public ‘charging while you’re parked’ stations using solar energy eliminate the need for pickup and battery swapping services.
- Phones and Mobile Consumer Devices: Forgetting a power cord no longer means running out of power while running around town.
- Smart Factories: Autonomous intelligent mobile robots become increasingly productive with the ability to drive and park themselves over a charging pad that doesn’t require a human operator.
- Drones: Aerial drones can recharge on their landing pads at their home base and remote destination sites, expanding their operating area for services as critical as the delivery of emergency medical supplies, or as everyday as home goods.
How do we get to this world without wires? Solutions are needed that not only provide the convenience of wireless, but that are also efficient, high power, and reliable to meet the consumer and business expectations around charging.
This is where GaN technology comes in with high frequency power switching that enables wireless charging solutions ranging from handheld devices charging anywhere on a table to large industrial robots in factories.
It’s an exciting time to be entering a new era of wireless charging – and to see the possibilities of ‘a world without wires’ that is unfolding before us.
Download the eBook that explores the new solutions made possible by unleashing technology from the constraint of a wired physical connection.